December 10, 2012

Why Blog?

I already have a website and even a blog (in Hebrew), so why blog here?
As it happens, my other blog turned to be mostly of travel and geology (yeh, I'm a little freaky...) and a little about writing in Wikipedia (again, in Hebrew; again, geology), but only a tiny little bit about art and creativity.
One may think that my personal website is a good place to write, and it would be true if all I wanted is to lecture.
No. What I miss mostly is a dialog.

Creativity and its artistic manifestations do not thrive in vacuum. Also, I don't believe in rivalry between artists but in mutual inspiration. The best example I can think of is the impressionists and their group exhibitions. Another is professional guilds, which we rarely see these days.

Talking about inspiration, if one is a multi-disciplinary artist, each discipline can inspire another. People who are familiar with my work claim that my paintings and jewelry show similarities. I agree. It often happens that elements I use in jewelry find their way into my paintings – such as metallic tints and deep textures. Lately it inversed, as the vibrant colors of my paintings found their way into my new jewelry collection.

mixed media, 80x80 cm.

adjustable wire crochet bangle bracelet

2 comments:

  1. Welcome! I hear you about wanting to create community. I don't really have that in my real life. At least not with my creativity. I don't know why my real life friends just sort of glaze over when I try to talk about anything deeper than "Oh, I love your purse!" I started my website with the idea of creating a community and discussion of creativity and what it means in our lives. Similar idea! So I'm glad I found you and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ginger. I'm not creating a community, although I used to be a manager of an art forum. There are many of these, and I might even join some. But still, communities and forums are closed circles. What I miss is an open dialogue, a conversation in a free, non-confined environment, exactly like the one we're having here.
      Thank you so much for opening the door :)
      Ducky

      Delete